The Georgia Association of Law & Politics annual Symposium features Georgia's brightest legal minds and political luminaries discussing critical issues facing our state and nation. To view past Symposia and panelists, click here.
Friday, October 25, 2013 | UGA School of Law, Rusk Center
Join us in Athens on October 25 for our third-annual GALP Symposium
10:00 am - Symposium Opening
10:15-11:45 am - Georgia's Glass Ceiling: Women in Politics
• Hon. Lauren Logan Benedict - Macon City Council; Chair, Georgia's WIN List
• Hon. Jan Jones - Speaker Pro-Tempore, Georgia House of Representatives (R-Milton)
• Hon. Alisha Thomas Morgan - Georgia House of Representatives (D-Austell)
• Stacey Chavis (Moderator) - Political Strategist
12:00-12:45 pm - Keynote Lunch
• Former Governor Roy E. Barnes
1:00-2:30 pm - Georgia's New Juvenile Justice Code
• Melissa Carter - Executive Director, Barton Child Law & Policy Center
• Sharon N. Hill - Founding Executive Director, Georgia Appleseed Center for Law & Justice
• Hon. Todd Markle - Judge, Superior Court of Fulton County
• Julia D. Neighbors - Board Member, Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice
• Hon. Avery D. Niles - Commissioner, Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice
• Andrea Dennis (Moderator) - Professor, UGA School of Law
2:45-4:15 pm - Georgia's Stalled Federal Judicial Nominations
• Hon. George W. "Buddy" Darden - Senior Counsel, McKenna Long & Aldridge
• W. Heath Garrett - Partner, Garret McNatt Hennessy & Carpenter 360
• Hon. Clay D. Land - U.S. District Court Judge, Middle District of Georgia
• Richard Vining - Associate Professor, UGA School of Public & International Affairs
4:15-4:30 pm - Closing Remarks
UGA students, faculty, and staff, as well as members of the community, are invited to attend panel discussions free of charge. State Bar of Georgia members may obtain 4.5 regular Continuing Legal Education credits for a fee of $50. UGA students, faculty, and staff may attend the keynote lunch free of charge. Attorneys seeking CLE credit and and all community members (non-UGA student, faculty, or staff) may attend the keynote lunch for a fee of $15.
• To register for the Symposium, please click here.
• Students/Faculty/Staff planning to attend the lunch session only need to check the appropriate checkbox when registering and do not need to purchase a lunch ticket.
• All other registrants will need to register for panels and the lunch session separately.
For more information, please contact GALP President Matthew Wilson at ugaGALP@gmail.com