The Office of Student Professional Development presents an array of programs and resources to assist students in learning about private law practice and in connecting with lawyers in the community.
- "Rules of Engagement" with Mary Crane, renowned business etiquette advisor to the profession, teaches everything from business communication to client development to networking skills
- Mock Interviews give students the chance to dress rehearse their interview skills with attorney volunteers
- The 1L Weekend Reception allows first-year students the opportunity to meet law firm visitors in advance of summer hiring opportunities
- "Stand Out in a Stagnant Economy" with Ari Kaplan teaches students career skills for creative networking and business development
- Law Firm Economics informs students about the business considerations involved in managing private practice law firms
- Practice Area Specialty programs - Employment & Labor Law, Business & Corporate Practice, Intellectual Property Law, Entertainment Law, and the Law Practice Specialty Forum - present experts sharing their career experiences and advice
Watch the Student Calendar for information on these and other Professional Development programs
Explore Private Practice:
- Martindale.com: Martindale-Hubbell is a long standing directory of firms and individual attorneys, and includes a lawyers-only social networking feature
- Chambers-Associate: Chambers Associate is an international directory of firms that includes surveys and indepth information
- GeorgiaBar: The online directory of the State Bar of Georgia is searchable by employer, location, practice section and law school. There is also a list of local and voluntary Bar Associations throughout the state. Student memberships are available for the State Bar of Georgia - and encouraged.
- NALP-Directory: The NALP Directory of Legal Employers features firms with annualized recruiting programs and includes hiring plans, salaries and contact information
- GTLA: The Georgia Trial Lawyers' Association is a professional organization for plaintiffs' attorneys. Student memberships are available, and the website has information on CLE's and current events.
- AtlantaFirmContactList: Contact list of law firms in metro Atlanta, containing size and practice area information, updated annually
For additional resources and articles, be sure to check out the Symplicity Documents Library.