The Office of Student Professional Development presents an array of programs and resources to assist students in learning about private law practice and in connecting with lawyers in the community.
- "Rules of Engagement" with Mary Crane, renowned business etiquette advisor to the profession, teaches everything from business communication to client development to networking skills
- Mock Interviews give students the chance to dress rehearse their interview skills with attorney volunteers
- The 1L Weekend Reception allows first-year students the opportunity to meet law firm visitors in advance of summer hiring opportunities
- "Stand Out in a Stagnant Economy" with Ari Kaplan teaches students career skills for creative networking and business development
- Law Firm Economics informs students about the business considerations involved in managing private practice law firms
- Practice Area Specialty programs - Employment & Labor Law, Business & Corporate Practice, Intellectual Property Law, Entertainment Law, and the Law Practice Specialty Forum - present experts sharing their career experiences and advice
Watch the Student Calendar for information on these and other Professional Development programs
Explore Private Practice:
- Martindale.com: Martindale-Hubbell is a long standing directory of firms and individual attorneys, and includes a lawyers-only social networking feature
- Chambers-Associate: Chambers Associate is an international directory of firms that includes surveys and indepth information
- GeorgiaBar: The online directory of the State Bar of Georgia is searchable by employer, location, practice section and law school. There is also a list of local and voluntary Bar Associations throughout the state. Student memberships are available for the State Bar of Georgia - and encouraged.
- NALP-Directory: The NALP Directory of Legal Employers features firms with annualized recruiting programs and includes hiring plans, salaries and contact information
- GTLA: The Georgia Trial Lawyers' Association is a professional organization for plaintiffs' attorneys. Student memberships are available, and the website has information on CLE's and current events.
For additional resources and articles, be sure to check out Law Dawg Dash.