Enthusiastic support from LL.M. graduates
Our more than 560 LL.M. graduates have earned success on every continent in the world, yet many continue to maintain close ties to their American alma mater. They formed an independent LL.M. Alumni Association, which holds annual reunions around the world.
Part of a network of approximately 11,000 J.D., LL.M., and M.S.L. alumni and alumnae, our LL.M. graduates give back in many ways. Some return to meet with students and give presentations, while others help Georgia Law students who venture overseas. Many stay in touch, offering enthusiastic statements about their year in Athens:
“The experience, exposure, knowledge and professional skills that Georgia Law imparted opened up new vistas and made the many academic, professional and even personal pursuits possible and successful. I would do it again if I were once again young.”
- Dr. Kannan Rajarathinam (LL.M. 1988), Senior Political Affairs Officer, UN Assistance Mission in Darfur
“The welcome extended by the UGA family has made it possible for literally hundreds of international lawyers to become very successful in their chosen fields around the world and, at least in our case, also to live the American Dream!”
- Shiyami M. Siva Subramaniam (LL.M. 1989) & Siva Subramaniam (LL.M. 1988), Partner, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, New York City
"UGA's LL.M. program offered me the opportunity to learn from great legal scholars and teachers in the beautiful city of Athens. The program provided me with special knowledge of US legal system, helping me to better understand my U.S. based clients' needs when I came back and practiced law in my hometown, Vietnam".
- Trung Khuat (LL.M. 2019), Special Counsel, Baker & McKenzie, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“The LLM academic year at the University of Georgia expands horizons in every respect: not only linguistically and technically do post-graduate students receive highly qualified training, but also the intercultural exchange with the students from other countries allows them to gain experiences, which remain unforgettable. The intensive support of the professors at the School of Law and professional mentoring by the University make the academic year unique and unforgettable. Last, but not least, Athens boasts a pleasant and distinctive flair as a cultural melting pot of the American music scene coupled with the beautiful surroundings of the American South.
- Dr. Wolfgang Eichele (LL.M. 2000), Chief Executive Officer, German National Association of Insurance Intermediaries (BVK), Bonn, Germany
“The LL.M. program at UGA provides a unique opportunity for foreign legal professionals to understand law practice in the U.S. Because of its limited number of LL.M. students, the program allows them to have classes together with J.D. students, giving a real perspective on the American legal system.”
- Honorable Felipe Forte Cobo (LL.M. 2013), Judge and Professor at the School of Magistracy, State of Paraná, Brazil
“The flexibility of the LL.M. program at the University of Georgia School of Law enabled me to select courses of interest and relevance in preparation for my career as an in-house commercial law attorney.”
- Bolanle Meshida (LL.M. 2004), Legal Adviser, FSDH Merchant Bank, Lagos, Nigeria
“Very honorable and highly reputable professors were able to break down the most complex legal issues and always made sure to point out the practical relevance. Studying at UGA School of Law prepared me thoroughly for my legal career.”
- Andreas Kuntzsch (LL.M. 2010), Employee Relations Advisor, DHL, Schkeuditz, Germany
“I grew personally and academically in a stimulating environment. Strong mentorship from senior law students led me throughout the academic pursuit, all the way to my commencement.”
- Yili Zhao (LLM 2015), Anti-Bribery Compliance Analyst, Standard Chartered Bank, Vienna, Austria
"Attending the LL.M. program at the University of Georgia School of Law allowed me to choose classes tailored to my interests from among all the exciting courses offered, and to benefit from an ideal study environment and some of the best professors I have ever met. Not only did it make me learn American Law, of course, but I also learned a lot about general legal practice and acquired a capacity to work in different legal environments which benefits me greatly in my legal career."
- Alexandre Carteret (LL.M. 2013), M&A – Private Equity Associate, Bolze Associés, Paris, France