Named after the former U.S. Secretary of State who taught at the University of Georgia School of Law in the last decades of his career, the Dean Rusk International Law Center has served since 1977 as a nucleus for global research, education, and service. From its home in Dean Rusk Hall, a modern edifice dedicated in 1996, the Center builds upon a Georgia Law tradition of excellence in international law that dates to 1940.
The Center's staff include: Melissa J. "MJ" Durkee, Associate Dean for International Programs, Director of the Dean Rusk International Law Center, and Allen Post Professor of Law; Laura Kagel, Director of International Professional Education; Sarah Quinn, Associate Director for Global Practice Preparation; Mandy Dixon, International Professional Education Assistant; and Catrina Martin, Global Practice Preparation Assistant. Serving as Faculty Co-Directors are: Diane Marie Amann, Regents' Professor of International Law and Emily & Ernest Woodruff Chair in International Law; and Harlan G. Cohen, the Gabriel M. Wilner/UGA Foundation Professor in International Law.
Together, they work to:
- Prepare students for practice, through a rich, cutting-edge curriculum, Global Externships Overseas and At-Home, and overseas summer study at the School of Global Governance in Leuven, Belgium
- Foster the educational development, research, and scholarship among the law school’s internationally recognized faculty, staff, and students
- Organize lectures and conferences on topics like international criminal justice, international arbitration, intellectual property, nuclear proliferation, U.S.-Cuba relations, and environmental sustainability
- Coordinate the Master of Laws (LL.M.) degree for foreign-trained lawyers, a four-decades-old tradition that has produced more than 400 lawyers, judges, and academics who practice all over the world
- Host international trainings for judges and practitioners
- Welcome visiting scholars from abroad, who benefit from the Center’s Louis B. Sohn Library on International Relations and the law school’s Alexander Campbell King Law Library
- Nurture a global Georgia Law community comprising students and faculty, Center staff, alumni and alumnae, and partners in the University of Georgia and across the globe, through initiatives including the Exchange of Notes blog and other social media