JELF serves the financial need of Jewish students who do not have the necessary funds to pursue their higher education. This includes undergraduate, graduate and vocational schools.
- JELF loans are administered in FL, GA, NC, SC and VA, excluding metro DC.
- Students must submit an application each year.
- Personal interviews are required for first time and returning applicants + their cosigners.
- Students must accept all Federal Direct Loans offered (FAFSA).
- A student's cosigner must reside in the U.S.
- Loans are anonymous to anyone outside JELF's immediate staff. A committee of trained volunteers decides the amounts awarded based on an application summary which is void of both name and gender.
- All loans are "last dollar" and are under $10,000/year. These loans are intended to bridge the gap in aid between what a student has and what they still need to make it to school that year.