The Office of Student Professional Development matches students with alumni mentors, and facilitates the mentor process.
If you are interested in obtaining an alumni career mentor, please email Beth Shackleford email@example.com. You will then be contacted to discuss your best potential match and to plan contact strategies.
In preparing to approach the career mentor process, there are a few key items to keep in mind:
- Seek an alumni mentor who can offer you advice on your career aspirations and practical job search goals
- Realize that your mentor will not provide placement services for you and approach the connection for other benefits
- Look for the valuable long term relationship that you can build with the alumnus, and realize that it may take some time to develop
- Prepare substantive questions about the law practice specialty, type of employer, geographic area and any other elements to show your enthusiasm and establish a foundation
- Follow up with heartfelt thanks - in writing.