Alternative Careers: Getting to “There” in the 21st century
What is an alternative career and where can I get one?
Susan Gainen has been writing, speaking and counseling students and alumni about Alternative Careers since 1992, when the Maryland Bar Journal published “Non-traditional career paths of the ‘90s.” While at Minnesota, she presented on the topic six times at NALP conferences, twice at CLEO, and multiple times at Minnesota, and coached three generations of Minnesota alumni in their alternative careers searches. Beginning in the summer of 2009, she developed her own alternative path as a generation shift consultant, cooking teacher, and painter, she created Alternative Careers: Getting to “There” for law schools and bar associations.
Getting to ‘There’ opens a door. Finding an alternative path takes work, commitment, research, dedication, relentless and creative networking, and, perhaps, some luck. Creating an alternative career is less like cooking ramen noodles (FAST!) and more like making barbecue (long, low, and slow).
· Distinguish among traditional, non-traditional and alternative career paths.
· Recognize and manage “frozen moment.”
· Learn the roadblocks for lawyers seeking alternative careers.
· Learn strategies and tactics for alternative career searches.
· Understand why a “legal” resume won’t work.
· Learn how legal skills and experience transfer to other settings.
· Understand the competition.
Register to reserve your space: